Had an Accident?
Having an accident is stressful. Here’s some helpful tips on what to do.
1. Stay put and stay calm. One of the worst things you can do is leave the scene.
2. Move to a safe place, out of the flow of traffic.
3. Call law enforcement. Proper legal documentation is helpful for even small accidents.
4. Discuss the accident ONLY with the police and your insurance company. Never admit fault.
5. Record personal information about everyone involved–drivers, passengers, witnesses and even law enforcement officers. Be prepared for this! It is easy to forget things in stressful situations.
Click here for an example. Print this form and keep it in your glove box with a pen
6. If your vehicle is drivable, come it to see us at either Sparkle Auto Body location as soon as possible. Driving a damaged vehicle is dangerous and often causes more damage. If your vehicle is not drivable, have it towed into one of our shops.
7. Call your insurance company to report the accident. Have the information you recorded at the scene handy. Tell them Sparkle Auto Body is completing your repairs and give them our phone number.
Hints for Insurance Repairs
- One estimate is all you need for insurance repairs. If you get multiple estimates, they will vary. Be sure that lower estimates are not a result of lower quality parts, unskilled labor, or outdated technology. You have the right to quality repairs. Your vehicle should be as safe and beautiful as it was before your accident.
- Only the owner of a vehicle can authorize repairs. You have the right to choose which repair shop will do the work. Keep in mind that your insurance company DOES have the right to inspect the damages before you have them repaired.
- Your insurance company provides a service to you, the policyholder. Their claims team wants you to be satisfied. To help them and yourself, follow the proper procedures for making a claim. Read your insurance policy. Ask questions about anything you don’t understand. Advocate for your rights.